April 27, 2009

An unexpected revelation

After being completely wired and frisky from my first experience with an energy drink (Rockstar Juiced) and an all-nighter last minute paper (finished the 11 page pager 8 hours) I realized something.

These last minute tiresome papers give me quite a thrill.

I wish I could be one of those people who start an essay a month before it's due and gradually work on it until it's finished. I really do. It's seems logical and efficient.

But I tried and I find that I can focus for more than thirty minutes when I know that I have time.

So all my papers are written last minute. I've done 5 page papers written in the last two hours before it's due. I've researched and written huge research papers the night before (like tonight). I've written chapters for HSR in the wee hours of the night, right before the day I promise to post it up to my readers.

My grades have ranged from C+ to As and some of my best written pieces were written after 1am.

The truth is those last minute papers give me quite the thrill and pump my creative juices like nothing else. Even though I'm tired and I was a little stressed, I had fun.

So it was when I was scampering (literally - the effects of that drink still haven't worn off) to the library to print my paper when I realized the reason why I haven't written anything creative in more than a year.

I've had no pressure.
I've had no drive.
I've had no thrill.

Ever since I left the online community writing world and stopped caring about my portfolio (what portfolio?) the only thing I've done is complain that I can't write.

Ha.

If I only had known.

So tonight (unless I crash like I plan to) I'm going to make a new ID at my favorite writing community. I'm going to write finish the first three chapters and then post them up. I'm going to get readers. I'm going to put deadlines.

I'm going to write.

Alrighty! Let's GO!

No comments: